There will be a number of social events organized during the week of the summer school and the week of the conference (which we will try to subsidize as much as we can)
- On Wednesday (July 25) there will be a BBQ after the last lecture (precise starting time: 17:30). The address is: Kriekenpitplein 21-22 (University college campus, in the far right corner if you come from the main entrance). This is aout 15-20 minutes walking from the Lecture Room.
- We are organizing a football event. Due to the large number of people interested, we will explode into for teams T1, T2, T3, T4. There will be two games T1-T2 and T3-T4 at the same time (of one hour), followed by a final and a small final (the same time again, for one hour). This will be on Tuesday , from 16.30 to 19.00, at the Olympos Sport Center (which is in the Uithof, at about 10 minutes walking distance from the Lecture Room; precise address: Uppsalalaan 3).
- Some social events for the school participants will be organized by the Summer School Organization of Utrecht University. The students that registered with the summer school organization for budget accomodation can use their account to register for some of them in the following webpage: http://www.utrechtsummerschool.nl/index.php?type=content&page=socialprogramme. The number of tickets is limited.
- The Reception will be held at the end of the first conference day (Monday, 30th of July).
- An Excursion to The Hague on the second half of the third day (Wednesday, 1st of August). See below for detailed information.
- The official dinner of the conference will be held at the end of the excursion. It will take place in the Aula of the Academy Building of Utrecht University, situated next to the Dom tower in the very heart of the city.
Where: Aula, Academiegebouw, Domplein 29
When: Wednesday, August 1. The dinner starts at 19.00.
The participants that go to the excursion to The Hague will be taken by bus directly from The Hague to the dinner.
Excursion to The Hague (detailed information)
The destination of the excursion will be The Hague, with visits to the Escher Museum and the The Hague City Museum (which will be hosting the famous exhibitions from the Mauritshuis which is closed for renovations).
The buses will depart from Utrecht at 13.00 and arrive at The Hague at 14.00. People can choose to which of these two museums they would like to go, and then either stay in one of them until 17.00 or continue at 15.30 to the other one.
The buses returning to Utrecht will depart at 17.30 from the City Museum meeting point, and then make a stop at the Escher Museum meeting point.
More information about entrance prices of the museums and the visit itself will be provided prior to the excursion.
Schedule for the buses:
13.00 - Departure from Utrecht
14.00 - Arrival at The Hague and drop-off at the Escher Museum or The Hague City Museum
15.30 - Buses from the The Hague City Museum to the Escher Museum
16.00 - Buses from the Escher Museum to the The Hague City Museum
17.30 - Buses depart from the The Hague City Museum to the Escher museum
18.00 - Buses depart from the Escher museum to Utrecht
19.00 - Estimated arrival at Utrecht, Domplein
Attractions in The Hague
See below a list of some interesting places in the vicinity of these two museums, which are marked on the map.
1 - Escher Museum - A museum dedicated to the famous Dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher. The first three floors display prints, sketches and archive material showing how Escher progressed from realistic pictures to his later works of optical illusion and geometrical pattern. The top floor offers a trip through Escher's worlds through 3D graphic headsets.
Close to the Escher museum:
2 - Lange Voorhout - A square, bordered on all sides by grand 18th century townhouses. Every summer, the square hosts The Hague Sculpture, a free outdoor sculpture exhibition.
3 - Plein - An elegant square, lined with historic government buildings on three of its four sides, and bars and cafes on the North side.
4 - Binnenhof - It is a complex of buildings in The Hague. It has been the location of meetings of the Dutch parliament, since 1446, and has been the centre of Dutch politics for many centuries.
5 - Haagse Bos - This park is the oldest forested area in the country and also contains the Queen's palace of Huis ten Bosch.
6 - The Hague City Museum (Gemeentemuseum) - It is an art museum, hosting the famous exhibitions from the Mauritshuis which is closed for renovations.
Close to the City Museum:
7 - Vredespaleis - This is the Peace Palace, which houses the International Court of Justice.
8 - Zorgvliet - Park close to the city museum
9 - Scheveningse Bosjes - Park near Scheveningen centred around a small lake
10 - The Scheveningen beach - The seaside of The Hague is at a walking distance from the city museum of about 35 minutes.
Public transportation in the Netherlands is very convenient. You can use buses and trams within the city of The Hague to reach the more distant attractions, such as the Scheveningen beach. See Practical issues and http://9292.nl/en for information (in particular, about the OV-chipkaart).